What is The Alexander Technique?

NEVER HEARD OF The Alexander Technique? Simply put, it is a system of psycho-physical re-education. It helps people re-learn how to use their whole self (mind and body) so that they can function with greater ease. For more information, check out this website: AlexanderTechnique.com. Also, please check out my first blog post as an introduction to F. M. Alexander.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Observation Blessing

I have the honor of watching my son, Finn, grow.  This past Friday was his 2nd birthday.  I still can't believe how time flies!  He has literally been with me from the beginning of my teacher training.  I found out I was pregnant about 5 months before I was to begin at CBAS.  Thankfully Robin, my director, was extremely encouraging and welcoming to my big news.  I almost postponed my schooling, but she assured me that now was just as good a time as any.  And she was completely right!  I am SO thankful I had my fellow CBAS peers to help me through the pregnancy and motherhood transitions.  And now we call Finn our Master Teacher - and for good reason!

The other day I observed how he picked up a crayon to hand to me... it's a bit hard to translate to you without showing you... but, I'll give it a go:  as he bent over, his knees were free and moving forward, he had his full back as his arm extended out onto the floor, his eyes saw the object and I didn't sense any tension in his Self, his fingers grasped the crayon then his fingers led his arm which led his shoulder and torso to turn toward me.  With his eyes still on the crayon, his head followed this movement and then his hips and legs followed everything else.  It was such a great example of All Together, One After the Other!

I was also taken in by how he was not in a rush.  He had all the time in the world and there was absolutely no need to give his Mama the crayon faster than he did.

So many lessons like this one play out before me every single day.  I am so blessed to get to see them first hand... especially while I'm working through my teacher training!

No comments:

Post a Comment